Lantern Mantles

To the best of my knowledge, Coleman never did put radiation symbols on its
mantles or lanterns.  They just stopped using thorium oxide compounds.  In
fact, if you're the camping type and have a lantern, you will notice that the
newer Coleman brand mantles have a lower light output and a yellowish cast
compared to the older thorium mantles.  The last time I checked, mantles
manufactured by Primus, Century, and American Wick all still contain thorium
compounds (our facility uses them for operational checks).  I have an
American Wick product on my shelf and the interior of the package does
contain a warning about naturally occurring radioactive material and a list
of things not to do.

Opinions expressed are my own

Kelly Grahn
Illinois Department of Nuclear Safety