Re: lantern mantles -Reply -Reply

Dear Drifter,

Perhaps I should have kept my mouth shut because I am not an authority on this
issue.  I simply responded on the basis of experience, viz.:  (1) The Coleman
lantern mantles that we checked did not contain enough thorium to be useful as
demonstration sources.  (2) Lantern mantles imported from India were readily
available and these mantles contained enough thorium to serve nicely as sources.
Beyond that, I have HEARD that Coleman stopped the use of thorium to avoid
having to label the lanterns.  If you need more detail, you will have to look
elsewhere.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov