Accidents and Dose Limits -Reply

Will,

I am not conversent with your state regulations, but I believe that, from the NRC
perspective, you cannot excuse giving doses in excess of the limits by saying,
"Oops, sorry, I didn't mean to do that."    It is somewhat analagous to a speed
limit; you can get a ticket for speeding if you go 55 mph in a 25 mph zone, whether
you hit a kid on a bicycle or not.

Of course, there is a measure of  discretion in enforcement; onder certain
circumstances you may not be cited for a dose limit violation, but it is a judgement
call.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov