RE: Accidents and Dose Limits

I've been offline for a bit, and haven't had an opportunity to weigh in on
this one.  Perhaps I'm a bit behind the curve, but I recommend everyone
interested in this issue go to the NRC web site (http://www.nrc.gov),
and look up the Health Physics Positions.  This has been dealt with in a
number of venues, including at least one Information Notice.

The above is, to the best of my knowledge and belief, factual, but you
should look it up yourself.  The following is opinion.

Specifically, having an accident is the part for which one cannot be
cited.  If you have a LOCA, you won't get cited.  That doesn't get you off
the hook, however.  You can still be cited for any number of contributing
factors, including but not limited to failure to prevent the accident, or for
causing someone to be exposed unnecessarily.  The EPA Protective
Action Guidelines provide guidance on mitigating the consequences of an
accident, but do not relieve the licensee of responsibility for the accident.
 Check the Federal Regulatory Guidance on Radiation Protection (title?)

PERSONAL OPINION:  Anyone who wants to grouse that they shouldn't
be cited for giving a member of the public several millisieverts should quit
whining.  It'll only make you look bad when it's lawsuit time.

Respectfully,

George R. Cicotte
Health Physicist 3
Ohio Dept. of Health, Bureau of Radiation Protection
Nuclear Material Safety Section
gcicotte@gw.odh.state.oh.us

DISCLAIMER:  The Governor and I don't agree on everything, and this
may be one of those times. . . unofficial unless notified otherwise.