Advice needed on Food Irradiation -Reply

John,

For a quick take, I would start with the fact that all food has always been irradiated,
what is being discussed is merely a matter of how much radiation. Second, for
American audiences I believe that the principal interest is in "pasturization" rather
than "preservation;"  this process can save thousands of lives every year.  Third,
the FDA has subjected these processes to extensive tests for safety, not because
there was significant indication of hazard but because certain alarmist groups had
made it a politically sensitive issue.

Good luck.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov