Size of plot for subsistence farming -Reply

The dose medel that NRC is considering for decommissioning uses a 2500 m2 area for the resident farmer.  The model is described in NUREG/CR-5512, Volume 1.  I believe that DOE uses 10,000 m2 as the default for RESRAD calculations.  The NRC is not currently considering different age groups for decommissioning calculations.  This is, in part, because the criteria are based, in part, on lifetime risk, not the risk during a particular period of life.

>>> "Thatcher, Drew" <dht0303@hub.doh.wa.gov> 12/04/97 03:09pm >>>
Does anyone have any information on the size of a plot necessary to grow
an individual's or family's food requirements in a subsistence or rural
residential setting?  I seem to recall an NRC document estimating the
size but cannot locate the reference.  I'm currently planning on using
the estimated crop yield (kg/mē) in relation to standard ingestion rates
per age groups to approximate the land requirements.

Any insights/references would be appreciated.  Please send your replies
directly to me.

Sincerely,
Andrew H. Thatcher, MSHP, CHP
Washington Department of Health