Size of plot for subsistence farming

Does anyone have any information on the size of a plot necessary to grow
an individual's or family's food requirements in a subsistence or rural
residential setting?  I seem to recall an NRC document estimating the
size but cannot locate the reference.  I'm currently planning on using
the estimated crop yield (kg/mư) in relation to standard ingestion rates
per age groups to approximate the land requirements.

Any insights/references would be appreciated.  Please send your replies
directly to me.

Sincerely,
Andrew H. Thatcher, MSHP, CHP
Washington Department of Health