Re: UV protective material

"Almost any plastic face shield or goggles will be effective in protecting
the eyes against photokeratitis. Most transparent plastics such as
polymethlmethacrylate and polycarbonates transmit a significant fraction of
UV-B, but fortunately UV absorbers are normally added to the plastics to
deter its aging. If the adequacy of such protection is called into question,
the spectral transmission of the material should be checked in the 300-320nm
spectral band. Any measurable transmission in this spectral band detected by
a conventional spectrophotometer is considered unacceptable."
Quote from pg 94 "Occupational Hazards from Non-Ionising Electromagnetic
Radiation" No 53 in the Occupational Health and Safety Series published by
the Interantional Labour Office - Geneva

At 10:17 AM 2/12/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I have a question from a lab and have been unable to find an answer
>in my texts and manuals.
>
>The question: We have a UV light box which produces a 312nm
>wavelength for viewing ethidium bromide agarose gels.  It uses 6, 15
>watt bulbs.  We need to buy a shield and the catalog offers a
>polycarbonate or an acrylic material.  Which is sufficient for this
>wavelength?  Both?  Is the only difference one of strength?
>
>I have no text which discusses materials except in a general way and
>I view this as a chance to broaden my knowledge of UV....so if anyone
>can answer the question(s) AND offer advice on text, I would
>certainly appreciate it.
>
>If you don't think the list needs the info, please respond directly
>to me.
>
>george@pliny.ehs.ufl.edu
>George Rawls
>University of Florida