Re: Sealed sources

Stacey Alderson wrote:

> Radsafers,
>
> At what time does a short lived sealed source cease being
> radioactive material.   Especially if the source has documenation
> identifying it as radioactive material and it was allowed to decay in
> storage.   If the source has decayed to undetectable levels can it
> then be disposed of as nonrad material.
>
> Stacey Alderson

If I were making policy, I'd say, "After 10 half lives for all nuclides
in the source (including those that are impurities in the primary
nuclide) and if radiation from the source were less than 0.5 mrem per
hour at two inches (I think that dose rate is what the FDA uses for TV
machines) from any surface.  Al Tschaeche