Re: ALARA

Ron-

Efficiency, ie optimization of use of resources, including time and
dollars, has been an important goal long before ALARA or even ALAP, but it
is a goal to be sought on its own merit. When we put other labels on such
efforts, there is a result of excess baggage which costs resources and
often risks missing the true goal due to resultant misunderstandings and
direction of time and material resources toward peripheral considerations
that have no constructive relation to the goal of efficiency. It does not
serve us well to use a term indicating dose reduction to describe efforts
to achieve efficiency only because they involve radiological
considerations, and it is important to distinguish the two goals, even
though they may not always be mutually exclusive in application.

Bob Hearn