Subject: Re: ALARA
Author:  <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu > at SMTPGATE
Date:    12/10/97 10:41 AM

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, RON L. SHEPHERD wrote:
> I have noticed this theme that ALARA is very expensive and not worth the
> bother.
> Initially, in the power industry, we thought the same until we realized that
> ALARA could actually SAVE US MONEY!!  What some of us came to realize is that
> dose is directly tied to money by a common factor.....time.  If we plan and
> execute tasks with fewer/no glitches we save time which also saves dose and
> money.
> So I am unclear as to what portion of the rad world is adversely affected by
> ALARA and thought you or others wouldn't mind letting us know what's going
> on???
> Thanks in advance
> Ron Shepherd
> SHEPHRL@GWSMTP.NU.COM

Here's an example from medicine:

We treat thyroid patients with I-131.  Afterwards, invariably the patient
room is contaminated.  The AECB (Canada's equivalent to the NRC) requires
us to decontaminate before the room is reused.  The limits are ALARA
inspired, and are much lower than the annual limits for MPD in the
regulations.  Because we cannot always decontaminate to these levels, the
room is often 'closed down' for a period of several days or weeks to allow
for decay.  Thus we:
1        spend a great deal of time and money trying to meet the ALARA
        limits,
2        lose a room, resulting in delays for admitting new patients
3        lose the revenue from the private room

There are other aspects, but hopefully this gives you an idea.

Regards

Chris Davey
        RSO  Cross Cancer Institute  11560 University Avenue
        Edmonton   Alberta   Canada  T6G 1Z2
        (403)432-8616   fax 432-8615    email cdavey@med.phys.ualberta.ca
        pager number 005, just call (403) 432-8771 and ask for that pager