Re: ALARA at hospital

I'm probably going to have to duck the flamethrowers that will come my way
as a result of this but the insulation in my office is asbestos, so...

Has every one forgotten what the 'R' means?  In my not so humble opinion,
it is most certainly not reasonable to delay new paitents comming in for
thyroid therapy.  I don't know what your room protocol is like, but you
might try covering the floor in absorbent paper and lining the bed with
a plastic sheet.  Thus when the patient moves out, you clean up the paper
and sheets, store THAT for decay somewhere and the room turn around could
be reduced to one day following a room inspection by your HP's.  As a plus,
the week that you wait for the trash to decay will save the expense of
sending the stuff to the Canadian equivalent of Barnwell.  The increased
cost of lining the room should be significantly less than the loss of
revenue from not using the room for a week.

With this method maybe the person(s) who clean up the room will have to
spend less time in the room, (i.e. peel, bag, meter and go) decreasing
your dose to personnel, making everyone (including AECB) happier.
That might be considered reasonable, no?

I calmly await the storm,
Scott Kniffin

Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov
RSO, Unisys Corp. @ Lanham, MD
CHO, Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA, Greenbelt, MD

The opinions expressed here are my own.  They do not necessarily represent
the views of Unisys Corporation or NASA.  This information has not been
reviewed by my employer or supervisor.