Re: Re[2]: ALARA at hospital

On 11 Dec 97 at 8:53, tdc@ehssun.lbl.gov wrote:

> I don't understand - WHY must the Iodine patient room be released to
> general use?  With the 5 or so patients per week you cite - why not
> just use it for the next Iodine patient?  I wouldn't think that
> "general use"??

Read 10 CFR 35.315(a)(7) which states that the licensee must "survey
the patient's or human research subject's room adn private sanitary
facility for removable contamination with a radiation detection
survey instrument before assigning another patient or human research
subject to the room.  The room must not be reassigned until removable
contamination is less than 200 dpm per 100 sq cm."

To do as you propose requires an exemption to this regulation or
subjects you  to enforcement action.  Been there.

Kent N. Lambert, M.S., CHP
lambert@auhs.edu
Allegheny University of the Health Sciences
Hahnemann Division
Radiation Physics and Safety, MS 106
Broad and Vine Streets
Philadelphia, PA  19102-1192

215-762-8768 (voice)
215-762-7683 (fax)

Disclaimer:  All opinions are well reasoned and insightful.
Needless to say, they are not (necessarily) the opinions of my employer.