Re: More LNT

Chris Davey wrote:

> I'm sure others will reply more eloquently than I, but still - here
> goes:

Very well put, Chris. I would add only that NCRP hides its inability to
support the LNT in competent technical forums by its pretence that it is "in
the middle". You need to realize how bad it is. Meinhold wrote a letter to us
that refused to engage in the debate on the science between the LNT supporters
and critics by saying they would only chair a meeting, stating that they
recommend that Prof emeritus Bernie Cohen, PhD Physics, U.Pitt, author of
hundreds of rigorously credible science articles and highly acclaimed books,
and Prof emeritus Myron Pollycove, MD, UCSF and 30 years head of nuclear
medicine at SF General Hospital (and another - Ludwig Feinendegen? MD, 30
years in highly credible science), debate John Gofman, who is widely known to
have abandoned science for the self-serving political stage in 1976-77, as his
premises were destroyed in 3 major scientific conferences), and Helen
Caldicott!?, pediatrician??, who is among the worst of known blatantly
dishonest political activists who has never produced a technically competent
statement (and another - Rudi Nussbaum?) who collectively know essentially
nothing about the biology issues. We considered this an outrageous act.

We have stated clearly that we are addressing the substantive scientific data
and analysis that contradicts the LNT, and that data that is claimed to
support the LNT. We are not now primarily engaged in the public rhetoric of
the debate.

This is the time for the integrity of science and scientists, and
knowledgeable human beings, to coordinate and organize the voluminous data
that has been in the disaggregated hands of many individuals in their own
areas of specialty, and even jealosy. We need to overcome the explicit lack of
data and the explicit disinformation being promulgated to justify the LNT (not
as a "conservative rad protection policy", but represented as reflecting the
scientific basis for actual dose-response). This was produced again at the
recent Seville IAEA, actually ICRP, Conference; and in Roger Clarke's
statements on Monday this week that included numerous explicit, known,
factually erroneous statements on the existing scientific data, starting with
the justification of the DS86 Hiroshima dosimetry that was destroyed yet again
from the neutron data (Ni-63?) by Kelleher at the Seville Conference 2 weeks
ago, the Canadian fluoroscopy data, the IARC "study" widely shown by several
authors to misrepresent its own data, etc, etc, to misrepresent support for
the LNT as reflecting actual dose-response. These statements explicitly
abandoned the consensus statements at the important August Wingspread
Conference.

We are planning to produce an extended treatment of that evidence early next
year. I appreciate a few private notes from some on the list. I continue to
invite anyone who has questions about the data and analysis to join the effort
to conduct an open scientific review (as questioned and called for by the ACNW
and NRC of the NCRP Committee 1-6 effort, which we still have some hope for. I
also invite those who can support this effort, with data, editorial, and
communications support, etc, to join us. Even with some of the leading
scientists on the planet supporting the effort, there is no funding for the
efforts to assess the evidence. We therefore also need financial and staff
support to function on a shoestring.

It's late and I apologise if this is not coherent. I'll be traveling til late
Sunday if anyone wants to get me.

Thanks.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
Radiation, Science, and Health, Inc.