Letter to the editor

---------------------------- Forwarded with Changes ---------------------------
From: Ruth Weiner at po821cc2
Date: 12/12/97 2:03PM
To: letters@latimes.com at Internet
Receipt Requested
Subject: Letter to the editor

     CORRECTION PLEASE NOTE CORRECTED LETTER BELOW VERY IMPORTANT -- please
     discard preceding letter.

     Thanks

     Ruth Weiner

Author:  Ruth Weiner at po821cc2
Date:    12/12/97 2:03 PM

     I sent an attached letter.  In case it was illegible, here is  in text
     only form.  Thanks for your consideration.

     Letters to the Editor
     Los Angeles Times

     Dear Editor

     On 11/30/97, your paper carried a commentary on nuclear power by Helen
     Caldicott, which mixes a little factual information  with a multitude
     of  distortions, half-truths, and misstatements. I cannot comment on
     Caldicott's motives, but the distortions and misstatements need some
     correction.  As an introductory note: the term "very radioactive" (or
     "highly radioactive")  can be confusing.  The radioactivity of a
     substance is essentially inversely proportional to the half-life,  so
     that the shorter the half-life, the higher the radioactivity per gram
     of radionuclide, and the longer the half-lives, the lower the
     radioactivity.  Most isotopes of plutonium (like plutonium-239 that
     Caldicott is so vituperative about) are not in fact"HIGHLY
     radioactive," as is reflected in their very long half lives (the most
     radioactive is Pu-238, half-life 87 years).

     While it is certainly true that irradiated (spent) nuclear fuel
     contains radioactive fission products, including strontium-90 and
     cesium-137 with 30-year half-lives, virtually all of the fission
     products are inside the fuel elements. The vision of airborne clouds
     of radioactive material that  Caldicott conjures up is a gross
     distortion. Nuclear power plants are not atmospheric bomb tests.  Even
     breaches like the Three Mile Island accident did not leak strontium-90
     into the surrounding environment.  Radioactive material which leaks
     out of the fuel rods is trapped in a number of ways and does not
     disperse randomly into the environment;  the mass of material that
     leaks during operation is in fact far less than that of the gasoline
     vapors that you smell when you fill the tank of your car, and gasoline
     vapor, besides being very flammable, isn't particularly healthy to
     breathe.

     Concentration of strontium-90 in bone occurs if the strontium-90 gets
     into the food chain, because it's biochemistry is similar to that of
     calcium. We know that ionizing radiation is carcinogenic, and we can
     infer that strontium-90 incorporated into bone can greatly increase
     the risk of cancer.  Strontium-90 from atmospheric fallout did enter
     the human food chain in milk and could have increased the cancer risk
     in children who drank that milk, although there is no documented
     correlation with  increased cancers.  However, operating nuclear power
     plants do not produce atmospheric fallout!

     Strontium-90 and cesium-137 are radioactive so that after 10
     half-lives, or 300 years, 0.1% of the isotope is left, and after 20
     half-lives, or 600 years, one-millionth of what one started with is
     left. The amount of activity left after 300 or 600 years depends on
     the amount one started with.  The phrase ".remain radioactive for 600
     years." is meaningless; the radioactivity doesn't magically go away
     after 600 years.  Uranium-238, which is found in virtually all
     concrete block, is (to paraphrase Caldicott) radioactive for 49
     billion years (10 half lives).  So what?

     The statements about plutonium are egregious distortions; the "even
     distribution" is a ludicrously unrealistic scenario, much like saying
     "if all the gasoline in the world were evenly distributed and everyone
     drank their share."  If this happened, indeed everyone would die,
     quickly and very unpleasantly.   On the other hand, if a pound of
     plutonium-239 were evenly distributed throughout the human population
     of the earth, each person would carry a body burden less than the
     normal body burden of radiopotassium.  We don't know what body burden
     "causes" cancer, and we have considerable evidence that body burdens
     more than 10 times this amount are not associated with excess cancer.

     Caldicott's doomsday scenarios can be constructed with almost all
     commonly used household substances (e.g., "if the world's supply of
     detergent were evenly distributed in food people eat.") and  ordinary
     procedures ("if  everyone in the world had a full dental x-ray every
     week.").  They amount to pointless hysteria.  We use any number of
     substances and procedures which, if misused, damage health and life:
     hot stoves, gasoline and diesel engines, electric toothbrushes, oven
     cleaner, dry-cleaning fluid ; the list goes on and on.  We know how to
     use these with reasonable safety, although accidents do happen.  The
     same is true of nuclear power, which is in fact better regulated than
     most other activities, with consequently fewer accidents.   Nuclear
     power plants are not atomic bombs, just as gasoline engines are not
     napalm bombs.

     Nuclear power is a legitimate and useful component of the world's
     energy conversion network; its benefits and hazards are comparable to,
     though different from,  those of any other large energy conversion
     process.  Moreover, nuclear science and engineering have made
     considerable progress since the first controlled fission experiment in
     1944.  Nothing is gained, and no one is benefited, when their hazards
     are exaggerated, distorted, and simply fabricated as in Caldicott's
     letter.

     Ruth F. Weiner
     7336 Lew Wallace NE
     Albuquerque, NM 87109
     Home phone: 505-856-5011
     Work phone: 505-844-4791

     All opinions expressed herein are my own, and do not in any way
     represent those of my employer  or anyone else.

     Please note:  I have been a professor of chemistry and researcher in
     nuclear chemistry and risk assessment for 35 years, and am a co-author
     of two environmental engineering textbook series.