Re: Radium Chemical Structure

At 07:51 AM 12/12/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi Radsafers:
>
>Several years ago an incident at a storage facility for old radium
>formerly used in dial painting resulted in a fire related incident.
>
>Does anyone out there have a source of information on the chemical
>structure of the dial painting medium?  Was this medium soluable in
>water used to fight the fire?  Any information on resulting personnel
>and environmental contamination would be appreciated - or just a
>source where I could find information on this incident.
>
>Believe this incident occurred in the northeast U.S.

>Thanks for any assistance.  Please reply directly to my attached
>address.
>
>James H. Ogden, Jr., Emergency Planner
>WIPP Transportation Project
>INTERNET Address (jogden@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us)
>(512) 834-6688 ext 2041
>(512) 834-6654 FAX

============================
I have no register in EEUU about an fire accident in an installation
containing  Ra-226 source. In USA, There were some accidental smelting of
radioactive sources containing Ra-226. One of the the best Institution   to
obtain information is the Radiation Emergency Assistance Center/Training
Site (REAC/TS), Oak Ridge.  For information on REAC/TS,  mailto:
<pescep@orau.gov>

One source for  information about old spent sources containing Ra-226 is:
A Review of Radium Incidents in the United States of America, Proceedings of
a Symposium on Handling of Radiation Accidents, Willforth, J.C., Robinson,
E.W., Wold, G.J., IAEA, Vienna 19/23 May 1969

J. J. Rozental <josrozen@netmedia.net.il>
Israel