Thoriated Tungsten Electrodes -Reply

Jason, I am not an expert in this area but have been around welders for most of my
life.  Normally thoriated tungsten tips are used in TIG welding as an electrode and
not as in "Arc" welders where the electrode is consumed during the welding/filling.
Inert gas welding normally has the filler material provided separate from the
electrode and the electrode is used to puddle the metal to be fused/welded
together.  The thorium is used for its heat resistance properties which causes the
electrode to resists melting.  All other properties you cited are corrected as long as
the TIG electrode is kept pointed.

H.  Dean Chaney, CHP -  USNRC, Region IV/WCFO
hdc@nrc.gov
ddchaney@castles.com

The views put forth above are my own and do not necessarily
reflect the beliefs or policies of the USNRC or any other
governmental entity, or maybe some welders.