Re: Letter to the editor

December 16, 1997
Davis, CA

Dear RadSafers:

Several excellent letters were sent to the Los Angeles Times concerning the
November 30 "Column Left" by Helen Caldicott. However, they were not
published primarily because they were not received in a timely fashion. My
experience with the press is that they have a very, very short attention
span. If we want to be effective in responding to these media issues we
have to do so within 48 hours of the original published article to which we
are responding.

As President of the Health Physics Society I am trying to rapidly respond
to major articles that relate to radiation safety issues including those
with which we agree! To do this I need prompt information about articles
that appear in the media.

I appreciate the fact that RadSafers promptly post information about
articles that appear the media so that we can rapidly respond. It helps if
you also supply the citation details including the page number, publication
date, and the FAX number for responses. Please continue to alert us if you
see any new articles in the media that relate to radiation safety issues.

Also, if you see any of our response letters in print, please let us know.

Thanks.........

Otto
		Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
                [President, Health Physics Society, 1997-1998]
		Institute of Toxicology & Environmental Health (ITEH)
		     (Street address: Old Davis Road)
		University of California, Davis, CA 95616
		Phone: 530-752-7754  FAX: 530-758-6140 [NEW AREA CODE]
		E-mail ograabe@ucdavis.edu