re: food irradiation related question

I think that the argument to fling back would be if your kitchen is so
dirty that it can support a colony of that 0157 E. coli on hte counter top,
I wouldn't eat there in the first place.  Furthermore, if all meat were
irradiated (I can dream, can't I?) and the food prep area of the
kitchen/grocery/home were throughly
cleaned top to bottom, inside and out, recontamination should be very,
very,  difficult.

Just my $0.02.
Scott Kniffin

Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov
RSO, Unisys Corp. @ Lanham, MD
CHO, Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA, Greenbelt, MD

The opinions expressed here are my own.  They do not necessarily represent
the views of Unisys Corporation or NASA.  This information has not been
reviewed by my employer or supervisor.

At 09:26 12/16/97 -0600, you wrote:

>Does anyone else find this a common tactic by the anti-food irradiation
>crowd?  As soon as you present a solution to a problem, they say the
>problem is really much bigger than that.  For example I have read several
>times that the the lack of people using proper hygine and preperation
>techniques for food will just recontaminate it.  For some reason this
>is supposed to mean that killing parasites as the stuff leaves the
>packaging plant is a waste of money and time.

<snip>