Re: food irradiation related question

Drew Thatcher said:

>An individual against food irridation and I have been trading "letters to
>the editor" in the Seattle PI. [...]  The
>individual has mentioned a researcher from the University of Georgia who
>believes the answer may be in adding a benign, competitive bacteria to
>cattle feed to crowd out the detrimental bacteria.
>Does anyone have any further information about such a process?

Drew, this Sunday (Dec. 14) I saw a letter to the editor in the NY Times
which refutes the "beningn bacteria" thoery of meat control.  Although I
didn't see the article that this person had responded to, the writer of the
letter was of the opinion that there was no such thing as benign bacteria
and that tinkering with the bacteria content is a bad idea.

Gary L. Schroeder
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Environmental Protection Office
gs1@bnl.gov