Re: food irradiation related question

> Ted and All,
> > I think the idea is to substitute a strain of E-Coli or other bacteria
> in the guts of cattle which is less toxic to humans. The benign strain
> would replace the native E-Coli in animals. I do not know if it would
> work, but it sounds possible.
> Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP                KF2LG

That, indeed, would be the idea.  While some microbes live on us
transiently, many are there because they are so well adapted.  Thus,
it's always questionable whether an indigenous microbe can be
replaced unless it's being replaced with something nearly identical.
Even if this can be carried out,
1. How are you going to remove all the nasty E. coli strains from the
immediate environment and prevent recolonization?
2. How are you going to do this to every cow in the country/world?
3. That still leaves Salmonella in chickens, etc.
   This plan, like improved
sanitary practices at slaughter, is a good idea, but I don't see how
it can solve all the problems.  Germs consistently "outsmart" us.  If
they're dangerous, I say let's just kill them.  And irradiation still
seems to be our best weapon.
  Just a microbiologist's opinion.

HANDBELL PEOPLE have all gone campan-

David F. Gilmore
Assistant Professor of Environmental Biology
P.O. Box 599, Dept. of Biological Sciences
Arkansas State University
State University, AR 72467
dgilmore@navajo.astate.edu
ph  501-972-3082    fax 501-972-2638