re: food irradiation related question

Scott D. Kniffin wrote
> I think that the argument to fling back would be if your kitchen is so
> dirty that it can support a colony of that 0157 E. coli on hte counter top,
> I wouldn't eat there in the first place.  Furthermore, if all meat were
> irradiated (I can dream, can't I?) and the food prep area of the
> kitchen/grocery/home were throughly
> cleaned top to bottom, inside and out, recontamination should be very,
> very,  difficult.

The reason the problem is hamburger and not steaks is that the
grinding process mixes the bacterial contamination throughout the
entire food.  The inside of a steak comes sterile, but the inside of
a hamburger patty does not.  Most hamburger grinding occurs in the grocery
stores, so if only half the meat supply is irradiated and the butcher
doesn't disinfect the grinding apparatus between loads of meat,
irradiated food could still get contaminated.  If all meat is
irradiated (or even most), that would have a tremendously beneficial
effect, but even irradiating some of the meat supply will still
signifcantly reduce food poisoning  _in conjunction with proper
sanitary practices_!

HANDBELL PEOPLE have all gone campan-

David F. Gilmore
Assistant Professor of Environmental Biology
P.O. Box 599, Dept. of Biological Sciences
Arkansas State University
State University, AR 72467
dgilmore@navajo.astate.edu
ph  501-972-3082    fax 501-972-2638