Shipping radioactive material

If the DOT considers anything with a specific activity >2 nCi/g to be
radioactive and as a result needs special packaging, what permits the
general public to transport generally licensed or exempt materials?
(I know I'm mixing agencies, and that's worse than mixing metaphors.)
For example, can one legally transport Fiestaware from the antique
shop to one's house without the statement, "This package conforms to
the conditions and limitations of 49CFR..."?  What about smoke
detectors?

Can anyone provide the citation for an exemption from the regulations
for these sort of household items?

Kent N. Lambert, M.S., CHP
lambert@auhs.edu
Allegheny University of the Health Sciences
Hahnemann Division
Radiation Physics and Safety, MS 106
Broad and Vine Streets
Philadelphia, PA  19102-1192

215-762-8768 (voice)
215-762-7683 (fax)

Disclaimer:  All opinions are well reasoned and insightful.
Needless to say, they are not (necessarily) the opinions of my employer.