Risk and ALARA

I am reviewing/revising our radiological worker and HP/RC tech training and
would like to update the ALARA and risk sections to reflect current
knowledge. I would also like to provide material to spark some spirited
debate among the students. What I am looking for now is information
regarding the highest and lowest known average natural background levels in
the U.S. and the world. I am specifically looking for levels in inhabited
regions. I am also looking for data showing the longevity and cancer rates
for cancers known to be linked to ionizing radiation exposure for those
areas.

My idea is to show the range of natural background that we do not even think
about in our daily lives, then compare that to the regulatory levels that we
control to for "risk reduction." I want to then ask the ALARA question about
what is "reasonable" in light of the information they have been given and
hopefully spark some discussion and thought on the part of the students.

I have been getting more radiophobic questions lately and I don't think
telling the students what is reasonable is nearly as effective at countering
the misinformation put out by the anti- groups as allowing the students to
define it for themselves will be.

Thanks,
Gary

PS - I know there are several public rad info web sites already on line, but
I am thinking of starting one to address the radiophobia of the week/month.
If you have a comment about this idea (or a favorite phobia question),
please do not reply to the list, but comment to me directly at
damschenga@mkf.ornl.gov or garyd@pageturners.com.