License Issue regarding Radium Contaminated Soil

We are involved to evaluate a treatability study of radium contaminated
soil. At
this time, I do not have any information of the soil characteristics. We
will need 250-300 lbs to do the study. Even though I will follow my
state's instruction regarding our license, I don't clearly understand the
licensing issue. I have been amending our license to possess NORM but I am
not clear what the exact requirements are and where it is based on.
I would like to hear from radsafe to clarify my confusion.

My questions are:
1. Is there any regulatory guide or regulations which
discribes this issue?
2. Will this case likely require to obtain a license if this
would be studied in other states? (I heard
that license requirement regarding NORM varies from state to state.)

Myung Chul Jo <mjo@scs.unr.edu>
University of Nevada, Reno
Health Physics
EH&S/MS 328