From: hberger@trinity.tamu.edu
To: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu; CHASE, VINCE AD BIPUS
Subject: Glow in the Dark Watches
Date: Wednesday, December 17, 1997 12:45PM

<<File Attachment: ENVELOPE.TXT>>
Yesterday a colleague of mine kept alarming our Hand and Foot Gas flow
proportional counter on her left hand. After some trouble shooting I did a
gamma spec on her watch with an HPGe. The analysis revealed Eu-152 and
Eu-154. A separate gas flow measurement indicated ~1600 dpm on the face of
the watch. The manufacturer of the watch is Seiko. Has anyone ever heard
of Europium being used to illuminate a watch dial? Any insight into this
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

David W. Hearnsberger         phone:    (409)845-7551           *
Texas A&M University          fax: (409)862-2667           *
Nuclear Science Center        email:    hberger@trinity.tamu.edu*
FE Box 89 Bldg. 1095                                            *
College Station, Texas                                          *
                 77840                                          *