Fire Department Permit and Radioactive Material

A few years ago, our local fire department dropped by and insisted we need
a permit to handle radioactive material. At that time we were designing a
facility to handle contaminated soil (treatability study). They gave me a
copy (2 pages I think) of the UFC for their claim. The activity limit was
very low like single digit microcurie and anything above that was
classified
with other hazard group which require very extensive physical facility
requirements. One requirement I remember is that the lab must be able to
contain it's sprinkler water for two hours. I got out of it because the
code had something like "... except licensed by other government agency."
in the last sentence of that section. I claimed
that we are licensed by the State so we are exempted. It was lucky for
us because I wondered if we needed a license for low level
transuranics in soil. But in consideration of our political climate, I
requested and amended our license to include those transuranics. I was
very glad I had amended our license. There were a number of groups who
were against the project and looking for ways to stop it. They told me
that they will get back to me and I have not heard from them yet.

We are in process of starting another identical project. I misplaced the
UFC copy pages during recent office move. I would like to know where in
the UFC that section is listed so that I could have a copy for my
reference.  I would appreciate someone to point me to the section or fax
me the page(s). It was a short and had a simple table (if I
remember correctly). Thank you in advance.

Myung Chul Jo <mjo@scs.unr.edu>
University of Nevada, Reno
Health Physics
EH&S/MS 328