Re: Fire Department Permit and Radioactive Material

I did not mean to imply that we try exclude the fire department from
our emergency preparedness trainining simply because we (our facility
and the fire department) both acknowledge other regulatory agencies
"regulate"  the radioactive material.  On the contrary, we both
realize that the BFD is the first responder to most all emergencies
and do involve them fully with our radiation safety and industrial
hygiene programs.

BFD inspectors regularly tour our facilities and are kept quite
current with what hazards lie where.  We also periodically meet with
their HAZMAT teams and train them on how to deal with situations
involving radioactivity.  So we do have a very cooperative
relationship with the fire department, even though they aren't
necessarily the regulators.

Ron Amoling
amolingr@joslab.harvard.edu