Re: Fire Department Permit and Radioactive Material

Ron,

I personally think that it is extremely important for us as
Radiation Safety Officers to look beyond the minimum of the
Community Right to Know Act and actively work with the
public agencies that we expect to come to help us when
times are tough.  At our regional hospital, we invite the
city fire inspectors to really know where we have "hot
labs", radioactive storage for decay lockers, diagnostic
and therapy use areas, so they can fully preplan with their
academy and give proper continuing education training of
local agency first responders.

We serve on the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC)
by chairing an office, routinely go to coordination
meetings 200 miles away at the State Department of Health's
Division of Radiation Control, actively participate in
drills with the Emergency Management Agency (EMA), NASA, US
Army's Redstone Arsenal, and the Tennessee Valley Authority
(TVA) <since we are near the infamous Browns Ferry Nuclear
facility - which had the 'candle incident' some years ago>.

Our Emergency Care Department's Level I Trauma Center has
agreements to provide decontamination services in an on
site, government funded facility at the ambulance entrance
to serve both TVA power plant workers, local high tech
research facilities and transportation accident victims.

It is important to be involved and take a proactive role in
being a resource to your community, - not just saying I
will do the minimum required in the regulations and sure do
hope nobody ever tries verify any of our procedures or
inventory.

Yes, NRC and Agreement State are our primary regulators
and your Boston Fire Dept. is in the hometown of NFPA as
well as the world's premeire Medical School for Medical
Oncologists (Harvard), but by health physics professionals
educating local emergency response personnel, you and your
institution will be seeing that there is no hesitancy by
a trained rookie to snuff out a trash can size problem when
they are otherwise having to spend a precious extra five
minutes while their shift lieutenant is looking up
"what's it say in Guide Number 162 in the DOT's 1996
North American Emergency Response Guidebook to see what
that darn DOT/UN 2911 label on a P-32 isotope Cardiology
Stent box in your Cardiac Catherization Laboratory really
means, because when a fire doubles in size every
half minute, it will be a full room flashover before they
have the answer radioed back to the guy on the end of a
inch and one half hose - who could have gone back in to
extinguish it, if he was not scared to death.

Do not laugh, this is a real world example and firefighters
have the right to ensure their safety ahead of property.

Let's go beyond regulations and get involved locally, as
professionals.

Mark Steinbuchel, CHCM, Asst. RSO
Chairman, Radiation Safety Committee
Huntsville Hospital System

(205) 551-6590

Disclaimer: The opinion expressed herein is my own and does
not reflect the policy of my health care institution nor
the public agencies that I voluntarily serve with.
On Thu, 18 Dec 1997 12:51:11 -0600 (CST) Ron Amoling
<AMOLINGR@JOSLAB.HARVARD.EDU> wrote:

> At our facility in Boston, we have a permit from the Boston Fire Dept
> for the storage and use of various flammable and hazardous materials.
> Radioactive materials are mentioned in the permit, but
> the permit
> defers regulation to the state or federal agency that regulates
> radioactivity in Massachusetts....
>
> So, although the fire dept is interested technically, they realize
> that it's already being controlled and regulated by other agencies..
>
> Ron Amoling
> amolingr@joslab.harvard.edu

Mark Steinbuchel
markst@ONC.hhsys.org