Re: Smoke Detector Disposal

NRC HP Position Paper HPPOS150 discusses this. Imported detectors must be
returned to the manufacturer but domestically produced detectors may be
disposed as ordinary trash.

http:/www.nrc.gov/NRC/FEDWORLD/NRC-HPOS/hppos150.txt

Pete

> John, why should smoke detectors be sent to the
> manufacturer?  If they are okay to reside in our homes for
> 30 years or more what is the harm in placing them in a
> licensed sanitary landfill?  I believe they are designed and
> licensed for such disposal.  What do you think the
> manufacturer, if you can find one, is going to do with them?

Peter Fear
Radiation Safety Office
SUNY Health Science Center
750 E. Adams St.