Re: Smoke Detector Disposal

You wrote:

"John, why should smoke detectors be sent to the
manufacturer?  If they are okay to reside in our homes for
30 years or more what is the harm in placing them in a
licensed sanitary landfill?  I believe they are designed and
licensed for such disposal.  What do you think the
manufacturer, if you can find one, is going to do with them?"

See NRC, Health Physics Position Statement 150 (HPPOS-150), "Disposal
Requirements for Specific and Exempt Licensed Smoke Detectors".  This states:

"A licensee who possesses detectors distributed as exempt items is exempt from
regulatory requirements regarding the smoke detectors, and they may be
disposed of as ordinary trash." There is also the caution that imported smoke
detectors possessed under a specific license must be returned to the
manufacturer.

Maybe there's an epidemic (oops, there I go using the "e" word, again) of
common sense among our regulators.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com