Re: Information about a 450P Ion Chamber

Andrew Astleford wrote:

> Radsafe,
>
> We are considering purchasing a Victoreen 450P Ion Chamber.  If any of you
> have one of
> these models, please respond to me and not radsafe.
>
> We would use the unit as part of our x-ray surveys and were wondering about
> the response time on integration mode for scatter radiation down in 1-5
> uR/hr range.  Any information on this unit would be appreciated.
>
> thank you
>
> andy

Andy, and all,

I have a Victoreen 450.

It is very usefull, but I have one complaint. The digital display has no
way of displaying a "negative" dose rate. When reading background or
very low dose rates, the unit has a tendency to drift, and will "go
negative" while appearing do display a positive dose rate. This can
result in an incorrect reading.

Wes
--
Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP                KF2LG
President, Van Pelt Associates, Inc.