Re[2]: nuclear power / environmentalists

This was another one I was not going to get into, but I guess I can't help
myself.  I was very very active, and quite prominent regionally, in the
environmental movement (officer and outings leader in Sierra Club, etc) until
1985, when they threw me off the National Energy Committee because I reviewed an
EIS for Babcock and Wilcox, made some suggestions, and refused to say the
facility would give everyone for miles around cancer.  Similarly with PUREX at
Hanford.  I could go on and on with stories, details of threatening phone calls,
etc..  Suffice it to say that much of the now so-called "environmental movement"
has been coopted by people who are making a political career out of being
anti-nuke.  Organizations like Greenpeace and NRDC come to mind.  One item: in
1984 I was interviewed to be executive directure of the Nuclear Information
Resource Service, a DC-based nuclear power intervenor group (i.e., they sue),
and I learned with my own ears that 70% of their budget comes from the
Rockefeller family (nnedless to say I didn't take the job).  Another item:
Greenpeace wanted me to review a study on some waste ponds that emitted radon,
and quite literally told me what to say, so I refused to do it for them.  If you
all want to hear more, let me know.  The people of good will, of whom there are
many, are often suckered as well.

Ruth Weiner
Sandia National Labs
Just my own opinion, not Sandia's or anyone else's