Re: Rocketdyne Employment

Phil Rutherford wrote:

> Radsafers,
>
> I have an open position available in the Radiation Safety Group at
> Rocketdyne. Please pass along to your colleagues.
>
> Radiation Safety Engineer.  (Member of Technical Staff IV)
>
> B.S. in health physics, nuclear engineering or an equivalent field
> with at least 8 years of relevant experience.  The candidate will be a
> member of the Radiation Safety team of Rocketdyne’s Safety, Health &
> Environmental Affairs department.  The candidate should have
> experience in environmental radiation protection, including
> coordination and reporting of environmental radiological monitoring
> data, preparation and implementation of radiological surveys for
> facility/site characterization and final release, radwaste
> characterization and radiological NESHAPS analysis.  The candidate
> should be familiar with DOE Order 5400.5, 10CFR834, and the DOE, NRC
> and EPA guides for final radiological release surveys.  Field
> experience at DOE facilities or commercial nuclear utilities is
> preferable.   Good communication skills (written and verbal) and good
> computer skills are required.  The candidate will be expected to
> interact with management, the DOE customer, regulatory agencies,
> participate in public outreach activities and support litigation
> activities.  A radiation worker medical exam is required.
>
> The candidate’s assignments will focus on the radiological monitoring
> and facility cleanup operations at the Santa Susana Field Laboratory
> of Rocketdyne Propulsion & Power.  Rocketdyne is a business segment of
> Boeing Space Systems.
>
> Resumes may be mailed or e-mailed to Phil Rutherford at the address
> below.  Alternatively, resumes may be submitted via Boeing's website at
> ..... http://www.boeing.com/employment/resume.html.
>
> Please specify Requisition No. 0550-000-714932 when applying.
>
> Phil Rutherford, Manager
> Radiation Safety
> Rocketdyne Propulsion & Power
> Boeing Space Systems
> 6633 Canoga Ave.
> P. O. Box 7922 (MS T487)
> Canoga Park, CA 91309-7922
>
> Tel:     (818) 586-6140
> Fax:     (818) 586-5889
> E-mail: philip.d.rutherford@boeing.com
>
> Phil Rutherford
> E-mail:    pdrutherford@earthlink.net
> Web Site:  http://home.earthlink.net/~pdrutherford/

Please consider the following resume for available Health Physics
positions.

Thomas J. Bauer, M.S., MPH
49-03 Quail Ridge Drive
Plainsboro, NJ 08536
home (609)936-8296
fax  (609)936-8170
thom1@idt.net

Advanced degrees in Radiation Biophysics and Public Health. Experience
as RSO of record for (NRC/State) University/Medical Type A Broad
Licenses. Director of Radiation Safety programs in complex safety
environments.  Significant involvement in local and National Health
Physics Society activities.  Available for immediate employment, salary
negotiable, will relocate.

EMPLOYMENT:

1995-1997:  Bronx Veterans Affairs Hospital, Supervisory Health
Physicist (left position due to Federal Reduction in Force, RIF)

Advise, establish and implement programs on all matters relating to
radiation safety including:

a. radiation monitoring programs;

b. condition of and need for radiation monitoring and protective
equipment;

c. action to be taken to reduce the radiation exposure of employees or
members of the public to a level that is both below the radiation
protection limits and as low as reasonably achievable with social and
economic factors being taken into account;

d. action to be taken in the event of an emergency or accidental
exposure.

Set up personal monitoring systems for the determination of effective
doses for any employee;

Assess the accumulated effective dose and committed effective dose of
any employee;

Maintain sufficient radiation monitoring and radiation protection
equipment and insure that equipment is calibrated and in a ready and
working condition;

Investigate any defect in an area or item of equipment that may increase
the exposure of a person to radiation and recommend how to correct that
defect;

Investigate sources of radiation exposure, working procedures and
recommend any change that would reduce the exposure of employees or
members of the public to a level that is both below the radiation
protection limits and as low as reasonably achievable;

Ensure that prescribed radiation signs are maintained in good condition
and located in places in which they will be readily seen;

Maintain detailed records on all the above matters.

1992 - 1994: Princeton University, Princeton, NJ (Personal Services
Contract Employee) Left contract due to closure of facility

Implementation, interpretation, and educational aspects of governmental
regulatory matters as they relate to radioactive, chemical, medical, and
biohazardous material.  As a consultant, responsible for the
departmental decay-in-storage facility, chemical hygiene plan, the
bloodborne pathogen program, and laboratory safety standards.
DOE Technical writer for radiological safety for the installation of the
fusion project tritium injection and recovery system.

1991 - 1992: U.S. Department of Energy, Pinellas Plant, Largo, FL -
General Engineer/Physical Scientist (Left position due to closure of
nuclear ascpects of weapons facility)

Provided professional support and advice to DOE on radiation and other
safety matters and on the engineering aspects of the contractor's safety
programs.  Assure that adequate measures were provided for the safety of
personnel, for prevention of damage to property, and to identify the
safety effects of the operations of a nuclear weapons components
production plant on the general public.  This interdisciplinary position
involved chemical manufacturing processes, hazardous and radioactive
waste.

1981 - 1991: University of Hawaii, Manoa, University Radiation Safety
Officer

Duties as described in Bronx VA employment (above).

Developed, promoted, and administered a comprehensive, campus-wide
Environmental Health and Safety Program that included laboratory safety
and hazardous waste management.  Responsible for the University's
compliance with applicable county, state, and federal environmental,
health and safety regulations.

1977 - 1981: University of Florida, Gainesville, University Radiation
Control Officer

Duties as described in Bronx VA employment (above).

Consulted with potential radiation users and evaluated all proposed
procedures that involved the use of radioactive materials or
radiation-producing devices.  Reviewed experimental procedures, safety
equipment, radiation detection techniques, and evaluated all proposals
to use radioisotopes or other hazardous materials.

1972 - 1977: Princeton University, Princeton, NJ - University Health
Physics Officer

Duties as described in Bronx VA employment (above).

Responsible for health and safety matters in University laboratories,
including the high-energy Princeton Particle Accelerator, and the
Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory.

EDUCATION:

MASTER OF PUBLIC HEALTH, Harvard University, Boston, MA 1972

MASTER OF SCIENCE in Radiation Biophysics, University of Florida,
Gainesville, FL 1971

BACHELOR OF SCIENCE in Chemistry and Mathematics, University of Florida,
Gainesville, FL 1970

COMMUNITY:

Governor's Advisory Committee on Radiation Safety, State of Hawaii-Vice
Chairman, 1983-1989; Governor's Conference on Health Promotion and
Disease Prevention, Committee on Toxic Agents and Radiation Control,
1984-1990.

PERSONAL:

Commercial Aircraft Pilot's License, Instrument Rating; Certified SCUBA
Diver; former Cub Scoutmaster; National Honor Society.