Subject: Re: Nonukes--right to free speech
Author:  hal_resides_at_corpus@smtpgate.ddrw.dla.mil at hubsmtp
Date:    12/24/97 9:07 AM

     Mr. Maxwell,

     While your proposal may a viable, albeit questionable and most
     certainly costly, course of action, we must keep in mind that we are,
     regrettably, dealing with appearances and perceptions (here we go with
     the public and perceived risk thing again).  In that light, the
     defendants would be perceived as the battered wife, and while Mr.
     Cochrane may prevail legally, public opinion (something you can't
     litigate) would remain unchanged.  On a personal note, though, it
     would be nice to see "them" squirm a little trying to justify their
     position.  Unfortunately, I believe the burden of proof would lie with
     us.

     I have to agree with Mr. Chaney that, even though it will not be a
     quick process, education and the conscientious dissemination of
     technically correct information is the answer.  To combat the 'flat
     earthers' out there, maybe we should foster a Christopher Columbus
     attitude instead of looking for a Johnny Cochrane.

     Hal Resides
     DLA