From: marrtin_haas@notes.ymp.gov

tayloe@ibm.estd.battelle.org on 12/24/97 08:24:26 AM

Please respond to radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu

To:   radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
cc:    (bcc: Martin Haas)
Subject:  Calculating doses in ducts or labyrinths

On Tue, 23 Dec 1997 12:54:18 Chris Hawkins <chawkins@inet.guthrie.org>
wrote regarding Linac Neutrons In Maze:
> I'm looking for comments on the 2 methods for calculating
> neutron mrem at the door to the maze in a linac room.  (NCRP
> 79 pp 52-7)

<snip>

> What are other people doing ??
We have calculated the dose reduction factors for a linac labyrinth using
the
code DCTDOS.  This IBM PC compatible code is available from the Radiation
Safety Information Computational Center at the Oak Ridge National
Laboratory
(423-574-6176) as package CCC-520 Micro.
Other papers that may be of interest are:
Tesch, K., "Attenuation of the Photon Dose in Labyrinths and Ducts at
Accelerators",
Radiation Protection Dosimetry, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 169-174 (1987).
Tesch, K., "The Attenuation of the Neutron Dose Equivanlent in a Labyrinth
Through
an Accelerator Shield", Particle Accelerators, Vol. 12, pp. 169-175,
(1982).
Stevenson, G.R., "Neutron Attenuation in Labyrinths, Ducts, and
Penetrations at
High-Energy Proton Accelerators", pp. 408-417, Proceedings Theory &
Practice In Radiation
Protection & Shielding, Knoxville, TN, April 22-24, 1987.
Stevenson, G.R., "Neutron Attenuation in Labyrinths, Ducts, and
Penetrations",
CERN Internal Report, TIS-RP/IR/86-07, (1986).
Goebel, K, et al, "Evaluating Dose Rates Due to Neutron Leakage Through the
Access Tunnels of the SPS", CERN Report LABII-RA/Note/75-10, (1975).
Please feel free to contact me if you have difficulty in locating these
documents.
Rob Tayloe <tayloe@battelle.org> 614-424-5796
Battelle Memorial Institute
Columbus, Ohio