Re: Isotope Transfer Documentation Requirements

DOT regulations "DO" apply if you are transporting NRC licensed material.
Check 10CFR71.5(b).

At 10:19 AM 12/30/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Since you are not going over a public way I do not believe that DOT
>regulations apply.  You would of course need to comply with the
>requirements of both licenses.
>warren_church.uml.edu
>----------
>> From: Bill Stephany <BSTEPHAN@mail.mcg.edu>
>> To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>> Subject: Isotope Transfer Documentation Requirements
>> Date: Tuesday, December 30, 1997 10:01 AM
>>
>> Radsafers,
>>
>> We're looking for a way to legally yet simply transfer radioactive
>material
>> between our facility and an adjacent but separately licensed facility.
>We
>> - the Medical College of Georgia - are licensed by the State; they - the
>> Augusta Veterans Administration Hospital - are licensed by the NRC.
>> The facilities are physically connected and we, by contract, supply rad
>> safety services to the VA.   For example, frequently it would be
>> convenient to count a source in one facility for use in the other.  Since
>> the material always remains within the confines of one or the other
>> facilities, we may not have to comply with DOT regulations.  If anyone
>> has come up with a simple way to comply with rad mat transfer
>> requirements for a similar situation, we'd very much appreciate hearing
>> from you.
>>
>> Reply to:
>>
>> Bill Stephany
>> Assistant RSO
>> Medical College of Georgia
>> fiss.bstephan@mail.mcg.edu

Tad  Blanchard            /__ \ /___\   NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center
Nat'l Health Svc, Inc          O         Code 205.9, Greenbelt, MD 20771
Sr Health Physics Tech        / \                    Phone: 301-286-9157
Assistant RSO                /___\                   Fax:   301-286-1618
                 mailto:Tad.M.Blanchard.1@GSFC.NASA.gov
        http://panza.gsfc.nasa.gov/205/205-2/Health/RADPROT.HTM