Subject: MIT, Quaker Oats Settle Radiation Lawsuit
From:    "Sandy Perle" <sandyfl%ix.netcom.com@inet.rfets.gov> at inet
Date:    1/2/98  7:00 PM

This is of general interest, and, might raise questions. Therefore, I
am providing the entire article as found on the wire services. It was
a subject I had not been awarre of, and, this might be new to others
as well.

Happy New Year to all Radsafers!

One fact that you may not be aware of is that the Fernald School is more a
mental hospital than a school.  It is likely that the children involved were
severely retarded.

Considering this situation, I don't think that MIT "rolled over".  I'm very
disturbed when people sho are not able to assert their rights are taken
advantage of, regardless of the dose.  It seems that the expimenters
deliberately chose a population which would "roll over," and, even then, did
not obtain truly informed consent.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com