Re: MIT, Quaker Oats Settle Radiation Lawsuit

RADSAFERS:
I have been around long enough to remember practices at the
time the experiments in question were performed.  Informed
consent was an unknown concept at the time.  As a matter of
fact, most medical care was delivered without bothering to
inform the patient.  Most prescriptions, for example, were
written using cryptic latin abbreviations, making it
impossible for the patient to understand what he/she was
getting or its intended purpose.  It was considered
taboo to tell patients that they had serious illness,
such as cancer.  Motives for this secrecy were not
clear.  Suffice it to say that everyone (well, almost
everyone) believed that "Doctor knows best."  These ideas
carried over into biomedical research. I am not excusing
those practices. I am merely stating what was happening at
the time.
The issue in the current litigation is not science.  It is
politics.  This the lawyers must sort out.  This is the
sort of problem that they love.

Happy New Year!

S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD               Voice: 615-322-3190
Professor of Radiology                    FAX: 615-322-3764
Dept. of Radiology & Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Nashville TN 37232-2670 Email:s.julian.gibbs@Vanderbilt.Edu