Re: MIT, Quaker Oats Settle Radiation Lawsuit

Eric Denison stated the following:

> It's the prevalent attitude these days.  Companies, universities, and
> high-profile individuals will settle suits out of court without officially
> admitting that they were wrong because it's cheaper than going to court.
> Considering the trend for juries to award astronomical sums for relatively
> minor "injuries," they're probably right.  What they don't seem to realize
> is that paying off the plaintifs still makes them look guilty.  It also
> feeds the trend toward suing over anything and everything.

It is unfortunate that when a radiation related case is settled out
of court, it is generally NOT the end of the story. Take the Tang
case for example. This involved a female NRC inspector who was suing
Southern California Edison for radiation caused cancer. The case
resulted in a hung jury, and instead of going forward with a new
trial, the company settled. The result, NUMEROUS other cases have
been now filed. These cases will take up a lot of time and effort on
the part of S. Cal. Edison. The costs associated are staggering. This
was the first time a nuclear utility has settled with a plaintiff. It
is my opinion that this settlement was a cave in, probably based on
good intentions to save the company many more millions, but in the
end, will cost them much more, plus, the stigma of being the first to
settle a radiation case that for all practical purposes, was not
substantiated in the first place.

There are members here who know this case well, and I will leave any
further discussion regarding this case to them, if they so chose.

Bottom line, settling doesn't always mitigate $$$ or public
"exposure."

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director