Re[2]: MIT, Quaker Oats Settle Radiation Lawsuit

     It's a REAL bad example in this case, because McDonalds DID go to
     trial, and lost!!!! Since juries are so inclined to award huge sums of
     money to stupid people, where no damage was incurred, etc.,
     corporations, universities, insurance companies, etc. will continue to
     settle out of court, regardless of the facts of the case. It's a very
     unfortunate consequence of our justice system.

     Unfortunately, in the case of radiation, society wants to judge what
     happened decades ago against the knowledge and standards of today. If
     "informed consent," whatever that really means, was not used or
     required in the past, why on earth should we give people money now,
     especially when there was no damage done to the person?!? We don't do
     that with any other technology, so why with "nuclear things?" Cars in
     the 40's were not required to have seat belts, and many people were
     killed as a consequence, yet we're not awarding lots of money to their
     families because they're required now. There's lots of other
     analogies, but you get the point. Hindsight is always 20-20, but we
     can't judge past actions against today's standards, ethics, laws, etc.
     It's not valid!

     Steven D. Rima, CHP
     Manager, Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene
     MACTEC-ERS, LLC
     steven.rima@doegjpo.com