Re[2]: MIT, Quaker Oats Settle Radiation Lawsuit

I too am old enough to remember what "informed consent" may or may not have been
in the 1950s and 1960s.  In the Fernald School case, the children could clearly
not give consent of any sort, but the parents of those children ought to have
been informed that trace (essentially negligible) amounts of a radioactive
substance would be added to their children's food in order to study metabolic
processes.  Moreover, the parents should have been allowed to withdraw their
children from the experimental group if they wanted to.  Withholding this
information from the parents was clearly contrary to accepted practice and was,
I believe, really wrong -- it doesn't matter what the dose was.  That the dose
was essentially negligible is, in retrospect, fortunate.  Whether financial
compensation is justified is a legal question.  The important distinction for
MIT to make is that they are compensating for having withheld information, not
for having added radioactive tracers to food.

Ruth F. Weiner
Transportation Systems Department
Sandia National Laboratories
505-844-4791
505-844-0244 (fax)
rfweine@sandia.gov

Clearly my own opinion and not anyone else's.