Re: MIT, Quaker Oats Settle Radiation Lawsuit -Reply

Regarding your comment about the "dumb broad" who sued McDonalds
because of the hot coffee spill, few are more aware of frivolous
lawsuits than I, having been sued by a fellow condominium owner for
hurting his feelings, because as a member of the board of directors I had
pursued him for failing to pay his assessments for over 10 years.
However, the coffee spill is a poor example of a frivolous lawsuit when
one knows all the facts. She was in her 60s, and very active, playing
tennis several times a week. She received third degree burns on her
groin & upper legs, was hospitalized for a lengthy period of time, and had
to undergo skin grafts to try & repair the damage. Her mobility was
severely affected. McDonalds had previously received some 40
complaints from different customers alerting them that their coffee was
too hot, and ignored every one of them. I don't think it's unreasonable to
presume that a cup of coffee won't give me third degree burns if I spill
some on me, and McDonalds clearly had information alerting them to the
problem. I'm positive there are any number of better examples of
frivolous lawsuits- I'd be happy to provide you with the details on mine!
(Incidentally, he lost, after five years of losing and appealing at every
step, & costing our condo association plenty in attorneys' fees.)