Re: MIT/Quaker

> Should damage reparations be paid when there is no damage and no willful
> intent to put the subjects at any risk?

This is a legal question. There are many ways to define "damage"
legally. While there may not be any physical damage, one can not
quantify mental anguish, etc. In many cases compensation is given to
"send a message"..  Granted, the researchers meant no intentional
harm. Was there any real damage? Nobody can answer this question. We
can not reflect on what the individuals exposed to feel, or how their
families feel, regarding the tests that were unknowinly conducted on
their kids. The fact that MIT settled is indicative that they didn't
want this episode addressed any further in the media. We also do not
know if any other more damaging information would have come to the
surface in a trial atmosphere. We are all second guessing what
actually might have happened, based on the limited information that
has been released to date.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director