radiation in non-uranium mines

Dear Radsafers,

	I'm searching for the informations concerning monitoring and control of
natural radioactivity in non-uranium minings in different countries.
Could you answer, please, the following questions:

1. Do you have the specific radioprotection regulations for non-uranium
mining? How high are limits applied for non-uranium workers (miners)?

2. Who established in your country the requirements for monitoring and
control of natural radiation risk in non-uranium mines, if any?

3. What type of sources of radiation hazard are monitored in non-uranium
mines (f.ex. radon or radon daughter products, gamma radiation,
radioctivity of sediments or waters, long-lived alpha emitters in air,
etc)?

4. How high are doses doses from natural radiation in these mines?

5. "Radon risk" in mines: In our case, the equilibrium factor between
radon and progeny could change from 0,1 to 0,9 depending of ventilation
conditions, system of exploitation etc. Under such conditions,
evaluation of "radon dose" - if only Rn concentration is measured - is
not proper. Do you have any experience or opinion concerning this
problem?

	Could you answer, please, directly to me through e-mail or would you
able to send me a copy of legal acts or reports concerning this problem?

	I will be grateful for any information.
	Thanks in advance, with best regards,

				Jan Skowronek

+         Jan Skowronek, PhD           +
+      Laboratory of Radiometry        +
+      Central Mining Institute        +
+         Plac Gwarków 1               +
+        PL 40-166 Katowice            +
+         Poland                       +
+ e-mail: brxjs@boruta.gig.katowice.pl +
+        tel. +48-32-592382            +
+        fax: +48-32-596533            +