Re: radiation in non-uranium mines

Jan Skowronek required information regarding non-uranium mines.

South African gold and other non-uranium mines are regulated by the South
African Council for Nuclear Safety (CNS).  The CNS establish the
requirements and they exercise regulatory control in terms of the Nuclear
Energy Act. The cut off below which the act does not apply is determined by
activity concentrations and exposures. Once a mine is licenced all exposure
routes are monitored (for workers and public). Exposures vary over a wide
range and radon daughters contribute the major portion of the dose.

Please contact me if you require more details.

Andries Leuschner
Radiation Protection and Technical Consultant
Gengold
South Africa

e-mail: andriesl@gengold.co.za