Re:The Petkau Effec

> Petkau's work is often trotted out by Ernest Sternglass and his
> devotees to "prove" that low-level radiation is far more damaging than
> is believed.
> Sternglass, referring to Petkau said in a May, 1974 NY Times op piece
> that "these studies now explain the earlier findings of surprisingly
> large health effects on human and animal populations exposed to low
> levels of fallout as an indirect chemical effect of radiation on
> cell membranes rather than in terms of direct action to the genes in
> a nucleus of a cell".

For a discussion of Petkau's work and Sternglass' "interpretation" of it, see
pages 463-469 of the BEIR III report (that's the 1980 US National Academy of
Science report on low level non-ionizing radiation, not the current one).

> I have all this info on Petkau because someone here tried to use the
> same research against us.

Same here.  Sternglass is still using this argument.

> I wonder what Petkau himself has to say
> about how his work has been used in the least 20 years.

I haven't seen anything from Petkau since a 1988 paper in IJRB.  Anyone know
whether Dr Petkau is still around?

John Moulder (jmoulder@its.mcw.edu)