Re:The Petkau Effec

Regarding the question about Dr. Petkau's present whereabouts, he is
presently practicing medicine at the Pinawa Medical Clinic in Pinawa,
Manitoba Canada.
I am sure he would be happy to answer any questions about his previous
scientific work (telephone 204-753-2351).

At 11:16 AM 1/8/98 -0600, you wrote:
>> Petkau's work is often trotted out by Ernest Sternglass and his
>> devotees to "prove" that low-level radiation is far more damaging than
>> is believed.
>> Sternglass, referring to Petkau said in a May, 1974 NY Times op piece
>> that "these studies now explain the earlier findings of surprisingly
>> large health effects on human and animal populations exposed to low
>> levels of fallout as an indirect chemical effect of radiation on
>> cell membranes rather than in terms of direct action to the genes in
>> a nucleus of a cell".
>
>For a discussion of Petkau's work and Sternglass' "interpretation" of it,
see
>pages 463-469 of the BEIR III report (that's the 1980 US National Academy of
>Science report on low level non-ionizing radiation, not the current one).
>
>> I have all this info on Petkau because someone here tried to use the
>> same research against us.
>
>Same here.  Sternglass is still using this argument.
>
>> I wonder what Petkau himself has to say
>> about how his work has been used in the least 20 years.
>
>I haven't seen anything from Petkau since a 1988 paper in IJRB.  Anyone know
>whether Dr Petkau is still around?
>

>John Moulder (jmoulder@its.mcw.edu)

Eric Cowdrey
Radiation Protection Officer
Department of Medical Physics
Manitoba Cancer Treatment and Research Foundation
100 Olivia Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3E 0V9
CANADA

Telephone: (204) 787-2166/4145