No Subject

     Hello RADSAFErs:

     First, let me add my thanks to Melissa!

     Now: last night I testified at the WIPP hearings, and I wanted to
     share the experience and some thoughts with alll of you.  It was very
     very ugly.  In addition to the usual lies, distortions, and outright
     made-up stuff, the antis interrupted speakers with catcalls, jeers,
     chanting Stop the Nuclear Madness, etc.  I've been to more than a
     hundred of these, and this was one of the worst.  Among other false
     accusations:

     All DOE employees are liars
     All Sandia employees are on the take
     Plutonium continues to be produced
     Albuqerque's drinking water is contaminated by radioactive releases
     from Sandia
     EPA is nothing but a DOE toady [Note:  this was an EPA hearing on the
     EPA certification rule]
     All Sandia scientists lie
     All DOE contractors lie
     No respectable scientist not on the government dole supports the WIPP
     etc.

     You get the picture.  Why am I sharing this?  Because it is
     exceedingly important to either show up at hearings like this or send
     in written comments.  I also realize that,while the antis' comments
     are unconstrained by either knowledge of the subject, relevance, or
     rational thinking, most sensible people don't want to make a statement
     on a subject they are relatively unfamiliar with.  So naturally, the
     WIPP supporters were all people who had had the time to study the
     voluminous application and EPA's equally voluminous analysis, and that
     is mostly people who work on the WIPP project as I did.

     So I really can't ask those of you totally unfamiliar with the topic
     to send in letters of support, But please, when such hearings do
     happen in your area, make comments either verbally or in writing.  If
     you can, please go to the hearing and applaud for "our side."  The
     people who face the barrage of hostility really do need some support
     from the audience.

     If you want to send comments you can get the address from the EPA 800
     number I posted earlier (I have to find it again in the mess on my
     desk).

     Ruth
     My own opinion entirely!!

     Ruth F. Weiner