RE: Radon Control During Remediation

Bates,

OSHA has essentially adopted 10 CFR 20  as their own in 29 CFR 1910.1096
and 1926.54 (don't hold me to the exact cites) An OSHA regulator
explained to us that they regulate worker exposure to radiation and not
just regulated source, byproduct and SNM, so that they considered all
radiation within their  domain, and they will usually bow to NRC or
States if they regulate an activity. We did radon monitoring in a tunnel
we were digging in Boston. Another group of sand hogs tunneling at the
airport were cited by OSHA for not monitoring. (we had an average of
0.74 WL and a high of 4.3 WL. I am not sure what they had). FFCA
requires DOE to comply with OSHA, so there is your legal driver.
Hope you are enjoying the move to Colorado. I'm back in Germany for a
while, heading back into the box next week, HOOAH.

Regards,  Luke McCormick
mccormickl@hq.hqusareur.army.mil